The Shoulder Sleeve Insignia (unit patch) authorized for members of the Oregon Army National Guard (ARNG) assigned to the state’s Joint Force Headquarters (HQ) was originally approved on 23 January 1950. In December 1983, it was redesignated with the description amended for HQ, State Area Command, Oregon ARNG.
Almost seven years later, on 26 September 1990, a very rare event took place: an entirely new design was approved, and in December 1991 the new insignia had to be amended to adjust the width of the insignia and the color of the two crossed bayonets. The insignia was given its current designation on 1 October 2003.
The dark blue used for the insignia background and border and the yellow (gold) of the demi-sun are taken from the state flag of Oregon, where they were chosen because gold is emblematic of honor and excellence and blue signifies devotion and loyalty (“true blue”). A pair of crossed bayonets surmounted on a demi-sun emphasizes the readiness of the Oregon ARNG, while the sun simulates the setting sun on the West Coat, home area of the organization.
The Pacific Ocean and powerful Columbia River are represented by the deep blue color and the way bar for whitecaps, and at the summit of the insignia is a profile of Mount Hood, one of Oregon’s most well-known landmarks.